good day to you

it's been a wonderful 36 hours.

...and i needed it!

after a rough start last week, i was really hoping for a smooth transition into this one.  let me give you a brief picture into how life looked approximately a week ago...

it's monday morning.  i wake up at 7:15, about 30 minutes after my intended start, and rushed to get ready.  showered.  dressed.  make-up'd.  and out the door.

i was mentally patting myself on the back as i pulled into the parking lot of my office, proud of the fact that i arrived one solid minute before 8am, when it hit me: i had left my laptop at home.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!  (one of those panic moments that can only be experienced in all of its glory on a monday morning)

i had to think fast. 

do i back out, turn around and head home to scoop up my laptop and do another lap to the office?

impossible.  not only would i be significantly late for work, i would also be noticeably late for my 8:30am monday-morning call with my boss.

shit.

my mind raced.  and eventually reverted back to middle school amy, the girl who knew that whenever she left her homework at home, or her books, or whatever other critical element had been forgotten, there was always one person who could be counted on to save the day:

my mom.

yes, i am 27 years old.  but sometimes, your mom is the only one who can fix a situation.  that was the case in this one.

i furiously dial her number, sweating in my car still parked in the office parking lot.  it rings once.  it rings twice.  and then my sleepy, angel of a mother answers the phone.

can she go to my house and please, oh please please bring me my laptop?

not even a question.  she's on it.  jumps out of bed and comes to my rescue.

i have never been more thankful that my mother lives just down the road.

she gets to my office just in time: 8:28am.  i plug in my laptop, pick up my phone, and get back on my game as i call my boss.

whew.  i made it.

when the call is finished i hang up the phone.  i lean back in my chair and breath a sigh of relief. 

we're back on track.  this day isn't going to be so rough after all - just a fluke of a bad start.

i head into the hall and am stopped by a male colleague.  we chat about a presentation we'll be giving to a client in a few hours, and all seems to be going well.  until he changes topics.

"so, did you say you were at a golf resort over the weekend?" he asks. 

"why yes, i was at pinehurst over the weekend.  why do you ask?"

"well, i can tell, because it looks like you got hit with a flying golf ball right in the neck! ha ha."

i gasp.  i cover my neck with my hand.  it couldn't be, could it?  how did i miss it? 

the inescapable truth: i had a major hicky almost dead-center on my neck, and i hadn't noticed it as i rushed to get ready this morning.

my colleague spotted it first.  and i was humiliated.

"oh, well uh, i'm sure i must have just burned myself while i was getting ready this morning."

he smirks.  and calls to three other male colleagues, "hey (dude 1), (dude 2), and (dude 3), come check this out.  look like a burn mark to you? *evil cackle*"

the guys come out of the offices, faces ineffectively hiding mischevious grins. 

i have both hands covering my neck.

me: "seriously guys, it's just a burn mark."

guys: "if it's a curling iron burn, why is you hair so straight? heh heh heh..."

they got me. 

they all three get the evil eye, and i retreat to my office.  thankfully, i had my concealer in my purse.  fate.  i take care of a quick cover-up job, and for the next hour endure random drop-ins to my office:

"hey amy, you need some burn cream for your wound?"

"how you healin' up over there?"  "that humidity really must have killed your curls."

i stuck to my story.  but i was so, incredibly busted.

the rest of the week was a blur, a hurricane of days that spun my head around and made my eyes cross.  proposals.  revisions.  deadlines.  meetings. 

...and then came friday, at 5pm.  and all was calm.  but was it the calm before another storm?

all weekend i worried.

but it's been great!  so far (i realize it's only wednesday), i have woken up on time and at work looking decently human.  i have spent quality time with the boyfriend and some of my closest girlfriends.  i even get to keep one at my house for a few nights :)

so now, i look forward to the rest of the week.  to coming home from work this evening to my visiting friend, to girl talk and take-out, to the return of my boyfriend and date night on saturday.

i pray that i'm not jinxing myself.  will somebody please knock on wood?  but i think this may be a good week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

i want to know what you're thinking! share :)